Friday, August 04, 2006

lost time, Can't be made up

Here it is Friday, already. I am still so far behind schedule, I can't see the light at the end of the tunnel. I did have the opportunity to do some research on some laptops, get laundry started, pay some bills, make some phone calls, a chance to get some kind of of post out.
I'll start out by talking about riding solo - small group - large group.
My choice is to ride solo, or with a good female behind my my back, to enjoy the sites.
On this last trip out west, it was great to ride in a small group ( 3 ) friends. However, it should be discussed before the trip how each individual rides, what the destinations are, and what each expects of the trip. Everone rides differantly, and with in their own pace, and comfort zone.
For myself, this whole trip was for the ride up the west coast, to see the differant country side, parts of Canada, and move back east. A white water trip was mentioned, it would have been good, but it never happened, as well as the many sites that others had told us to see, but we just did not have it added to the time table. Starting further south, on the California coast, in Montera, would have been great, but may have added another 3days to the trip, which we did not have.
Back to small group riding, Guru rides very strong, and very hard. If you don't ride fast, and like moving through the corners fast, he would not like you tailing him, nor would you like to try and keep up. ( You'd be lost in his tracks ). Myself, I play cat and mouse with Guru, until he flattens my ass, going through the curves in the mountains. Gizmo likes to hang back, and is slower in the curves. I do not have a problem with him hanging back in curves, after he layed his bike down on the way to the east coast. But the rule of thumb, or courtesy is, keep a tight nich on freeways. When we came out of Tahoe, I was in the lead, and never saw Gizmo. We pulled over off the freeway, for 20 minutes, and tried to call him on his cell, with no answer.
One of the reasons you need to stay together, is out of courtesy. We had no idea if he was in an
accident, or just lagging. As a solo rider, the only thing I have to worry about is gas, and myself.
In a group, you need to be concerned about everyone with you. So before you leave, make sure everyone understands what everyone's goals, skill sets, and expectations are. Although we had a few misunderstandings, and communications, it will still remain on the top 10 list of the trips that have done, since 1. I bought the bike, 2. totaled the bike. I gotta wrap up laundry and hit the sack. Tomorrow will be more laundry, fluid changes on the bike, and a better post.

Gimp

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home